The Texas State University System (TSUS) Regents' Staff Member Award
UPPS No. 04.04.38
Issue No. 1
Effective Date: 2/22/2016
Next Review Date: 9/01/2022 (E6Y)
Sr. Reviewer: Associate Vice President for Finance and Support Services Planning
- * This policy statement sets forth guidelines for submitting a nomination for The Texas State University System (TSUS) Regents’ Staff Member Award, which is established to recognize and reward support staff employees of The TSUS for outstanding contributions to the TSUS mission and that of its component institutions.
* The TSUS Regents’ Staff Member Award was established in 2012 by the TSUS Foundation, and the awardee is selected by the chancellor.
Annually, each component institution in The TSUS is invited to submit one nominee for the award to the TSUS vice chancellor for Academic Affairs.
* A call for nominations will be announced in November of each year. The nomination is due in the TSUS office by February 1 of each year.
The nomination package will consist of a recommendation letter from the president, along with a maximum of two supporting letters.
The recipient will be selected no later than the November Board of Regents’ meeting each year and will be recognized by the Board of Regents at their February meeting the following year.
All full-time employees who meet the following criteria are eligible for the award:
must have been employed in a TSUS component institution for a minimum of five years in an administrative, maintenance, or law enforcement position;
must have not previously won the award; and
must not be a member of the executive leadership of a component institution.
Criteria for selection will include:
commitment to the institution and its mission;
length of service;
community involvement; and
PROCEDURES FOR APPOINTING SELECTION COMMITTEE
* On October 1, the vice president for Finance and Support Services (VPFSS) will begin the process of forming the selection committee for the TSUS Regents’ Staff Member Award. The following will compose the selection committee:
assistant vice president for Human Resources;
one staff member who was the award winner previously (nominated by the VPFSS), or left unfilled if there is no one;
a staff member nominated by Staff Council;
one representative-at-large from the university appointed by the provost;
one representative-at-large from the university appointed by the VPFSS; and
associate vice president for Finance and Support Services Planning, chair.
* By October 15, the VPFSS will notify the selection committee members.
THE NOMINATION AND SELECTION PROCESS
* By November 1, the chair of the selection committee will send a statement about the award, criteria, and required documentation to all faculty, staff, and university administrators encouraging them to submit nominations.
* Nominations must be submitted to the selection committee via the respective vice president by December 1, containing:
support letters from colleagues, co-workers, and students (no more than a total of five letters). Letters of support should originate primarily from outside of the nominee’s professional supervisory relationships.
* By December 15, the selection committee will review the nominations, basing its selection on the criteria outlined in Section 04.
* The selection committee will make their first, second, and third choices and forward these choices to the president via the VPFSS by January 1. A copy of the nomination form for each person and the names of all nominees for the award should accompany the list of finalists.
Only selection committee members in attendance at the meeting may vote.
DOCUMENTATION FOR THE AWARD
- The documentation from the president for outstanding contributions to the TSUS mission will include a recommendation letter from the president and a maximum of two supporting letters.
* The award recipient of The TSUS Regents’ Staff Member Award will be recognized by the TSUS Foundation as follows:
a cash award of $3,000 (before deductions);
a framed resolution for office display;
a medallion; and
the title of Regents’ Staff Member (retained for life).
The award recipient will be recognized as follows:
invited to a May commencement ceremony and the Fall Convocation;
the president will honor the awardee with a reception;
the recipient’s name will be added to a plaque on permanent display at the university; and
an email will be sent to all staff from the president announcing the recognition.
REVIEWERS OF THIS UPPS
Reviewers of this UPPS include the following:
Position Date Associate Vice President for Finance and Support Services Planning September 1 E6Y
This UPPS has been approved by the following individuals in their official capacities and represents Texas State policy and procedure from the date of this document until superseded.
Associate Vice President for Finance and Support Service Planning; senior reviewer of this UPPS
Vice President for Finance and Support Services