UPPS 03.01.14 - SAP Financial Accounting System Access Privileges
SAP Financial Accounting System Access Privileges
UPPS No. 03.01.14
Issue No. 2
Effective Date: 11/14/2014
Next Review Date: 5/01/2019 (E5Y)
Sr. Reviewer: Associate Vice President for Financial Services
The purpose of this policy is to delineate the procedures used to control access to the university’s financial accounting system.
University employees who are granted any form of access to the financial accounting system are required to use discretion and must accept fiduciary responsibility in processing, approving, and reviewing financial data accessed.
By using the financial accounting system, account managers and principal investigators accept the fiscal managerial duties and responsibilities outlined in UPPS No. 03.01.09, Fiscal Responsibilities of Account Managers at Texas State, and responsibility for the security roles granted as described in Account Management - Access Privileges to Financial Data within the ERP Finance System.
The university will grant access to the financial accounting system only to employees of the university or external consultants who are providing services associated with the system. The university will grant access based on the responsibilities of the individual’s position.
The university will deactivate or modify access privileges for employees who terminate their employment with the university or who have changed positions or job duties.
The account manager or a higher-level manager in the same organizational hierarchy must approve requests for access privileges.
Failure to comply with this policy may result in administrative action, including revocation of account access as well as disciplinary action.
– a unit of recordkeeping established to record financial transactions. An account is comprised of a combination of a fund, representing a unique revenue stream, and at least one of the following:
Cost Center (also known as a “Funds Center” in the budgetary system) – an organizational area of fiscal responsibility that is considered to have a long-term, reoccurring purpose; and
Internal Order (which may be a “Grant” or “Funded Program”) – an organizational area of fiscal responsibility that is considered to have a relatively short-term purpose.
– the individual assigned the fiduciary responsibility for the funds in an account, and responsibility for assuring that the account is managed consistent with all applicable regulations.
– the individual identified on the award or contract as serving in this role for managing the sponsored program. Generally, the PI is the account manager.
– the right to perform specific financial transactions. Access privileges may be assigned in two ways:
Display – Data can be viewed, but cannot be changed. This may include general financial data, purchasing data, and budget data; or
Modify – Data can be changed. This may include adding, creating, deleting, deactivating, approving, etc.
– a grouping of data and transaction access privileges that may be assigned to an individual or job position, see SAP Financial Security Roles.
– individual requesting a security role. Depending upon the nature of the request, this may be an administrative assistant, the account manager, or a higher-level administrator.
For procedures to establish all other new accounts or to modify all other existing accounts, refer to FSS/PPS No. 03.01, Chart of Accounts.
Access to the financial accounting system may be granted, modified, or revoked by completing an SAP Financial-Departmental Services Security Authorization Form. Additionally, a periodic automated process revokes access privileges based on a withdrawn status in Human Resources.
REVIEWERS OF THIS UPPS
Reviewers of this UPPS include the following:
Position Date Associate Vice President for Financial Services May 1 E5Y Director, General Accounting Office May 1 E5Y Director, Sponsored Programs May 1 E5Y
This UPPS has been approved by the following individuals in their official capacities and represents Texas State policy and procedure from the date of this document until superseded.
Associate Vice President for Financial Services; senior reviewer of this UPPS
Vice President for Finance and Support Services