UPPS 07.08.03 - Federally-Required Disclosures of Consumer Information
Federally-Required Disclosures of Consumer Information
UPPS No. 07.08.03
Issue No. 1
Effective Date: 6/20/2014
Next Review Date: 1/01/2022 (E4Y)
Sr. Reviewer: Director, Financial Aid and Scholarships
- This document defines the responsibilities for the management and disclosure of consumer information in accordance with federal regulations as set forth in the Higher Education Act of 1965 (HEA), as amended.
FEDERAL CONSUMER INFORMATION REQUIREMENTS
* Texas State University is required by law to make certain information available to enrolled students, prospective students, and their parents about its operations. Such information includes, but is not limited to:
general institutional operations;
fire and safety reports;
retention and graduation rates;
voter registration; and
The regulations distinguish information that must be given to enrolled versus prospective students, current versus prospective employees, prospective student athletes, parents, coaches, guidance counselors, and the general public.
RESPONSIBILITY FOR CONSUMER INFORMATION
- Compliance with the relevant consumer information requirements of the HEA is a university responsibility. Each vice president will ensure that the consumer information requirements (current and future) that fall within their division’s purview are assigned to the appropriate office or department within their division. The office or department will take the necessary steps (e.g., develop consumer information disclosure procedures) to ensure they are meeting the federal consumer information disclosure requirements.
PROCEDURES FOR ANNUAL NOTIFICATION
Federal regulations require the university to notify its enrolled students on at least an annual basis of the types of consumer information it must make available to them. The University Registrar’s Office will provide enrolled students with this notification via email at the beginning of each semester. The notice will be sent to each student, individually, and explain how students may obtain the consumer information.
* All other notifications to students required by applicable federal regulations will be administered by the appropriate offices as delineated in Responsibility for Federally-Required Disclosures of Consumer Information.
CONSUMER INFORMATION WEBPAGE
To facilitate access to consumer information, the associate vice president for Enrollment Management and Marketing (AVPEMM) will maintain a single Consumer Information webpage. The page will direct consumers to the appropriate office or departmental webpage for specific information. Each office or department will, relevant to their areas of responsibility under the consumer information regulations, ensure the information on the page is maintained in accordance with the applicable federal regulations. The office or department will ensure that any content linked to the Consumer Information webpage is in compliance.
The AVPEMM will coordinate the Consumer Information webpage. Prior to the beginning of each calendar year, the AVPEMM will confirm that each office or department responsible for information on the page has conducted an annual review to ensure their content is accurate and in compliance.
* The Consumer Information webpage, in conjunction with the relevant federal regulations, provides the most current information regarding the office or department responsible for specific consumer information content. However, Responsibility for Federally-Required Disclosures of Consumer Information provides a general overview of the areas of responsibility within the university.
REVIEWERS OF THIS UPPS
Reviewers of this UPPS include the following:
Position Date Director, Financial Aid and Scholarships January 1 E4Y University Registrar January 1 E4Y Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management & Marketing January 1 E4Y
This UPPS has been approved by the following individuals in their official capacities and represents Texas State policy and procedure from date of this document until superseded.
Director, Financial Aid and Scholarships; senior reviewer of this UPPS
Associate Vice President for Enrollment Management and Marketing
Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs