Organization and Administration
A/PPS No. 01.01 (1.1)
Issue No. 1
Effective Date: 1/02/2017
Next Review Date: 11/01/2017 (E3Y)
Sr. Reviewer: Athletic Director
TEXAS STATE DEPARTMENT OF ATHLETICS MISSION STATEMENT
- The Department of Athletics provides a competitive, diverse, equitable sports program in compliance with the applicable rules and regulations that creates opportunities for student-athletes to earn a degree; develop into ethical, well-rounded, civic-minded individuals; and achieve individual athletic potential.
ATHLETICS DEPARTMENT VISION STATEMENT
The Department of Athletics will be nationally recognized as a leader through its commitment to excellence in education and personal development, success in athletic competition, equitable opportunities, and for serving as a stakeholder in university and community pride.
The Department of Athletics also strives to achieve, with character and integrity, a winning tradition that engenders university pride, positive community relations, institutional prestige, and quality sports entertainment.
The values the Department of Athletics embraces to achieve the mission include honesty, integrity, loyalty, sportsmanship, responsibility, and equity and respect for all students and staff regardless of ethnicity and/or gender
COMMITMENT TO GENDER EQUITY
Texas State University seeks to provide a mix of athletic programs that affords ample opportunity for female participation such that female participation in athletics is reflective of both composition of the Texas State student-athlete population and the university’s overall female population.
Texas State University will monitor, review and modify policies and practices regarding gender equity as necessary. Program areas include, but are not limited to, athletic scholarships, accommodation of interests and abilities, equipment and supplies, scheduling of games and practice times, travel and per diem allowance, academic services, coaching, facilities, athletic training, housing and dining facilities, media relations, support services and recruiting.
Texas State University and the Athletics Department is a full member of the Sun Belt Conference. The Sun Belt Conference has been part of the collegiate athletics landscape for four decades, and in that time there may not be another conference that can match the Sun Belt’s innovation, vision and progressive thinking. The Sun Belt Conference earns automatic qualifications to NCAA championships in football, men’s and women’s basketball, baseball, softball, volleyball, men’s golf, women’s tennis and women’s soccer.
Texas State currently sponsors 16 sports within the Sun Belt Conference. Those sports include baseball, football, men’s basketball, men’s golf, men’s cross country, men’s indoor track, men’s outdoor track, softball, volleyball, women’s basketball, women’s tennis, women’s golf, women’s soccer, women’s cross country, women’s indoor track and women’s outdoor track.
ATHLETICS ADVISORY COUNCIL
The role of the Athletic Advisory Council is to recommend to the Athletic Director policies and programs for intercollegiate athletics at Texas State University, including activities related to emphasizing the importance of rules compliance. The Council also serves as the establishment of an appeals board for student-athletes who wish to appeal the denial of transfer requests.
The Athletics Advisory Council is made up of a cross-section of faculty and staff representatives from the university community. Chaired by the Faculty Athletic Representative, the council also has the following ex-officio members: Director of Athletics, Associate Athletics Director for Internal Affairs, Assistant Athletics Director for Compliance, Assistant Athletics Director for Academics and Assistant Registrar - Athletics Certification.
FACULTY ATHLETICS REPRESENTATIVE
- The Faculty Athletic Representative (FAR) is appointed by the President. The role of the FAR is to promote academic integrity in intercollegiate athletics, to facilitate the integration of athletics and academics within the collegiate community in a way that promotes the mission and aspirations of the University, and to ensure institutional control of athletics on the campus. These objectives are accomplished by the FAR in the following ways: Serves as an advisor to the President and Director of Athletics on all matters related to intercollegiate athletics and on matters that intersect athletics and academics; Assists the President and Director of Athletics in determining institutional positions on proposed NCAA and conference legislation; Reviews reports prepared on the academic preparation, performance, and educational experience of student-athletes and reports this information to the President, Director of Athletics and Athletic Advisory Council; and Provides external oversight of the compliance and academic support programs.
STUDENT-ATHLETE ADVISORY COMMITTEE
- The mission of the Student-Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC) is to ensure and enhance the student-athlete experience through promoting opportunities within the University, Department of Athletics, and outside community while serving and protecting the interests and images of a student-athlete. The functions of SAAC are as follows: to promote communication between athletic administration and student-athletes and build a sense of community; to provide feedback and insight regarding Department of Athletics issues; to generate a student-athlete voice in the formulation of Department of Athletics policies; to promote positive relationships between student-athletes, staff, faculty and the residents of the community; to solicit student-athlete responses to Sun Belt Conference and NCAA legislation; to organize community service efforts; and to promote a positive student-athlete image on campus.
- Sport supervisors are members of the senior administrative staff designated annually by the Director of Athletics to assist in the oversight and management of specific sport programs. Sport supervisor responsibilities include, but are not limited to regular and on-going communication with the Head Coach, assisting (as needed) with scheduling, monitoring travel arrangements, reviewing game contracts, providing front-line problem-solving with student-athlete issues, assisting with creation and monitoring of athletic accounts, participating in hires and performance evaluations of coaches, and providing feedback to the Director of Athletics on the overall status of the program.
- The Departments’ senior administrative staff conducts a standing weekly meeting. Full staff and Head Coaches meetings are held quarterly. The purpose of all meetings is to communicate information, gather ideas, and promote an overall atmosphere of collegiality and transparency.
REVIEWERS OF THIS PPS
Reviewers of this PPS include the following:
Position Date Director, Athletics November 1 E3Y
This PPS has been approved by the following individuals in their official capacities and represents Texas State Athletics policy and procedure from the date of this document until superseded.
Director, Athletics; senior reviewer of this PPS